When it comes to weight loss, thinking small can help you lose big.
If you’ve resolved to lose weight in 2018 but are already starting to feel like throwing in the towel, perhaps you’re being too hard on yourself!
Slimming doesn’t have to mean making dramatic changes overnight. In fact small changes added together can make a big difference to your weight loss.
With these small, simple tweaks from Slimming World you can enjoy the food you love and still lose weight.
Below we’ve listed the 15 key swaps you can make to your weekly routine which will work wonders for your weight.
1. Takeaways for fake-aways
Whether it’s Chinese, Indian or fish and chips, slimming down doesn’t have to see you go without your favourite takeaways. Instead of ordering in, cook your own healthy versions of your favourite dishes, they’ll be lighter on your waistline and your bank balance!
2. Whole milk for skimmed, semi-skimmed, soya or almond milk
3. Sugary cordial or fizzy drinks for sugar-free or diet drinks or water
4. Skipping meals for three healthy, balanced meals a day
It’s easy to go without breakfast if you’re rushing to get out the house in time or work through your lunch when it’s busy, but research shows people who eat regular meals and enjoy healthy snacks are more likely to make healthy food choices throughout the day – and much less likely to be reaching for the biscuit tin or heading to the vending machine when their energy dips.
5. White bread for wholemeal bread
6. Your usual cuts of meat for lean, trimming all fat from meat and removing all skin from poultry
7. Eating the same old meals for enjoying a variety of dishes
No-one wants to eat the same foods over and over again. Mix-up your meals and vary how you cook the foods you eat a lot, for instance, potatoes can be mashed, roasted or baked as wedges or chips and veg can be steamed, boiled or roasted and adding a little spicy flavouring makes all the difference too. After all, variety is the spice of life.
8. For mince, choose 5% fat or less
9. Butter for very low-fat spread
10. Juices and smoothies for whole fruits
Whole fruit helps you feel full but with a juice it’s easier for the calories to slip down without satisfying your appetite. Think of how full you would be after eating five oranges compared with how easy juice from five oranges is to drink without feeling full.
11. Regular yogurt for fat-free natural yogurts or fat-free natural fromage frais
12. Mayonnaise for extra-light mayonnaise
13. Swap full-fat cheese for reduced-fat versions, or low-fat cottage cheese
14. Oil and fats for low-calorie cooking spray
You might think nothing of lining them pan with lashings of oil, yet this can often add hundreds of calories with very little in the way of filling power. Switching to low-calorie cooking spray will add flavour without damaging your weight loss.
15. Regular salad dressings for fat-free salad dressings